The Huron County Commissioners have called a meeting to discuss the PILOT (Payment in Lieu of Taxes) in Huron County.
Your attendance is essential to show support for wind energy and Emerson Creek Wind. Please make a comment during the public comments starting at 9am, and stay for the Emerson Creek Wind project presentation at 10:30. Wear your pro-wind apparel and tell your Commissioners that you want this investment in your community!
A PILOT sets a consistent annual payment for the life of the project. This payment is made directly to the counties, schools, and townships. Unlike a standard tax on a wind project, which would significantly decrease as the project ages, this payment cannot depreciate over time. The county receives funding similar to what it would under a traditional tax system, but the consistent payments allow for better investment and infrastructure planning within the county.
A PILOT provides the county with the following benefits that would not otherwise be guaranteed:
• $2.7 million per year in Huron and Erie counties for a 300 MW project like Emerson Creek, which cannot depreciate over time
• Fire/emergency responder training and equipment
• Apprenticeship program through a local university to educate and train individuals for careers in the wind and solar energy industries
• Road Use Agreement and bond to repair all roads, bridges, and culverts affected by construction to their preconstruction conditions
• Ohio jobs: Under a PILOT, energy companies must maintain a ratio of at least 50% Ohio-domiciled full-time employees employed in the construction or installation of the project
• Increased Local Funding: The State of Ohio cannot reduce funding based on these payments, whereas with standard taxes, state funding could be reduced. The PILOT ensures that payments to schools would be made in addition to funding provided by the state
- February 05, 2019 at 9:00am – 11am
Huron County Administration Building
180 Milan Ave
Norwalk, OH 44857
Google map and directions
- 1 person is going